If you’re looking for summertime fun in Toledo, you have two great choices: a trip to Magicland or an afternoon watching our town’s own minor league baseball team, the Toledo Mud Hens. And now that hardball season is over, you can do both at once!
The Mud Hens finished the season just 22 games out of first place — and to celebrate their trying really hard, Magicland invited the whole team to the park for Mud Hen Weekend. We’ve planned a mountain of Mud Hen activities all weekend long, from autograph sessions to photo ops to a haunted house home run derby.
Unfortunately, most of the team couldn’t make it. Since the season ended two weeks ago, many players packed up and traveled home. Others said they’re booked all weekend at Sixteen Flags, which appears to be running a similar event. And the rest didn’t reply to our calls, texts, direct messages, tweets or flyers slipped under their windshield wipers.
But never fear, Magicland fans — Mud Hen Weekend will go on! Come by the park this weekend for a ton of Hens-themed fun, like:
- The duck pond game is temporarily renamed “hen lake”. (Unless hens can’t swim; we’re checking on that.)
- Enter the raffle to win a pair of game-worn shoes belonging to Muddy, the Mud Hens mascot! (Shoes are size 22EEE, are made of felt and smell lightly of chicken coop.)
- Mud hen wrestling — it’s like cock fighting without the violence, or mud wrestling without the bikinis!
- Meet assistant Mud Hens bullpen coach Jerry “Dimebag” Davidson! He’ll be hanging out all weekend near his car in the parking lot, section 22B. Come visit day or night — he’s always around, since he sleeps there!
- The Fry Anything food stand is offering new specials for the occasion! Have your Mud Hens hat deep-fried, or a souvenir baseball. Or try their latest creation, the Mud Hen. It’s fried chicken, covered in chocolate, then deep-fried again — a grand slam of flavor!
So come to Magicland for Mud Hen Weekend, the best “double play” in Toledo. We’ll help you knock this weekend out of the park. Play ball!